Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)

​This visa is now closed to new applications

(On 18 April 2017, the Hon Malcolm Turnbull MP, Prime Minister of Australia and the Hon Peter Dutton MP, Minister for Immigration and Border Protection jointly announced that the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457 visa) will be abolished and replaced with the completely new Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa which will support businesses in addressing genuine skill shortages.

Further information on these reforms is available at Abolition and replacement of the 457 visa – Government reforms to employer sponsored skilled migration visas.

For additional information see:


This visa allows a skilled worker to move to Australia and to work in their designated occupation for their accepted sponsor up to four years.


You will be able to obtain this visa if:

  • --If you have been sponsored by an established business
  • --You have been sponsor by an established business
  • --You have the requisite skills to fill a position nominated by an approved business.

About this visa

This visa allows a skilled worker to move to Australia and to work in their designated occupation for their accepted sponsor up to four years.

You must be sponsored by an accepted business. When there are no citizens or permanent residents to do the skilled work they can sponsor someone for this visa.

You can be in or outside Australia when you apply your application.

This visa allows you to:

  • --Work in Australia for up to four years
  • --Bring your family to work or study in Australia
  • --Travel in and out of Australia as repeatedly as you want

Before you apply

This is a sponsored visa. Before you can apply for the visa, your employer has to:

  • --Become an permitted sponsor
  • --recommend you for a position

As you employer applies their application to sponsor and nominate you, you can apply for this Visa.

Legislative Instruments

To maintain suppleness in the Subclass 457 visa program, certain features of the program are focused to change from time to time. The aspects of the program that might change are enclosed in what is known as a legislative instrument.

See: Subclass 457 visa Legislative Instruments

No further stay

You cannot pertain for this visa if you already hold another visa that has a ‘No further stay’ condition.

Your passport

Your passport should be valid and also other travel documents for this visa. If you are applying for a new passport then you should apply for it before applying for the visa.

Who could get this visa

To apply you must:

  • --Be designated to work in an approved occupation on the Skilled Occupation Lists (Formerly Known as Form 1121i)
  • --Meet the skill necessities for the designated occupation
  • --Meet registration and licensing requirements
  • --Speak professional English
  • --Have been designated by an standard business

Approved occupations

You must employ yourself in an approved Occupation by the Australian Government. The list of eligible occupations is available in the skilled occupation lists. This list includes a number (an ANZSCO Code) next to each occupation title.

Skill requirements

You need to prove that you have the skills and the experience to work in the designated occupation. The proof you provide is included in the document checklist for visa applicants.

You will be responsible for your health costs while you are in Australia.

You are responsible for all your health costs while you are in Australia. You will not be covered by Australia's national health scheme (Medicare) unless your country has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia.

If your designated occupation is a trade occupation, you might need to achieve skills assessment. The Trades Recognition Australia website has more information on which occupations entail an assessment.

If your selected occupation is 'Project and Program Administrator or Specialist Manager not elsewhere classified', you will need to a skills assessment for immigration purposes. The VETASSESS website has more information. You can’t use a VETASSESS skills assessment that you have had for a Skilled General (Temporary) visa (subclass 485) in your application for this visa.

Registration and licensing

If your visa processing case officer requests you to provide evidence from the relevant Australian registration or licensing authority that you hold, or will be able to meet, the registration or licensing requirements to work in your nominated occupation you must supply the evidence.

You agreed sponsor should be able to offer you with necessary and registration information.

English language requirements

It’s essential that you can speak, write, and understand English to a sufficient level while you’re in Australia. We use the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and the Occupational English Test (OET) to determine your level of English language ability.

If you are sponsored by a ordinary business sponsor, you must show that you have English language proficiency that is equivalent to:

  • --An International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test score of at least 5 in each of the four test components of speaking, reading, writing and listening, or
  • --A score of at least 'B' in each of the four components of an Occupational English Test (OET)
You do not have to show that you meet this obligation if your nominated occupation does not need a level of English language ability for a grant of registration, license or membership and any of the following apply to you:
  • --You are to be paid a salary that is more than the English-language-requirement except amount. This amount is set at a gross foundation salary excluding all deductions. The current amount is listed on the gazette list of English language exemption.
  • --You should have a passport from Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom or the United States of America.
  • --You have completed at least five years of unremitting full-time study in a secondary or higher education institution where tutoring was conducted in English.

If your designated occupation needs a level of English language ability for a grant of registration, license or membership, you need to provide evidence that you have the required level. You can do this on the condition that you have relevant evidence on registration, license or membership.

If you are sponsored by a party to a labor agreement, you must meet the English language ability specified in the agreement.

Health requirements

You must convene certain health requirements. The health assessments you will depend on your individual circumstances, including your country of citizenship, time spent in another country throughout the last five years and your intended activities in Australia. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months.

This applies to you and any dependent family members integrated in your application.

You are capable to organize your health examinations upfront before lodging a visa application.

Character requirements

You need certain character requirements. You must offer a police certificate from each country you have lived for the past 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age. This also relates to all dependent family members in the submission who are 16 years of age or older.

Debts to the Australian Government

You must not have any outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to refund any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.

Including family in the Application

You can include the below mentioned people in your visa application:

  • --Your spouse (married or de facto)
  • --Yours or your partner’s dependent children
  • --Other dependent relations

The family members must convene the necessities required to include them in your visa application. The application must comprise documentary evidence of their relationship to you. Your family also must be able to show their health and character requirements. You can also put in your partner and dependent children to your application at any time until your visa is decided.

Visit us for more information call 0112824234 or 0112824235 or send us an email to info@australianvisapartners.com