Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)

This visa is a permanent residence visa for the workers who are willing to work and live there permanently In Australia.

Submitting an expression of interest Is the way for you to apply for this visa and afterward be invited through Skill Select to apply.

You can be in or outside Australia when you apply and when the visa is granted.


This visa is entitled for the points tested skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer or a family member or even not nominated by a state or territory government.

This visa allows the workers to reside and work in Australia as a Permanent Resident.


You will be entitled for this Visa if you’re invited to apply. Also anyone who applies for this Visa should fulfill the below necessities,

  • --Chosen an occupation which is on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)
  • --Get hold of a suitable skills assessment for that occupation
  • --Should be under the age of 50
  • --Must get the points mentioned in the letter of invitation based on the factors in the points test
  • --Must have 6.0 for each bands in IELTS

About this visa

What this visa lets you do

  • --You and any family member who have been granted to this visa are capable of possessing the below benefits,
  • --To live in Australia Permanently
  • --To work and study in Australia
  • --Enroll in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • --To apply for Australian Citizenship
  • --Sponsor relatives who are eligible for PR
  • --Travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

Before you apply

Firstly you should submit an expression of interest to apply for this visa and then be invited for skill select. If you get an invitation within 60 days you can apply for the visa online. During that period the information you provided for the expression of interest cannot be changed.

Also having 6.0 for each bands in IELTS is compulsory for you to submit a complete expression of interest and also a positive skills assessment for your nominated occupation.

Your passport

The passport should be valid and other travel documents for this visa. If you’re planning to get a new visa then you should do so before applying for the visa.


Base application charge AU$3520
Additional applicant charge 18AU$1760
Additional applicant charge under 18AU$880

Who could get this Visa

You might be eligible to apply for this visa, if you are invited. When DIBP sent your letter of invitation, you ought to have

  • --To select an occupation on the relevant Skilled Occupation list
  • --To obtain a suitable skills assessment for the relevant occupation
  • --Should be under the age of 50
  • --Achieved the score specified in your letter of invitation based on the factors in the points test
  • --Must have 6.0 for each bands in IELTS

Health requirements

You must meet certain health requirements. The health examinations you need will depend on your personal circumstances, including your country of citizenship, time spent in another country during the last five years and your intended activities in Australia. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months.

This applies to you and any dependent family members included in your application.

You are able to organize before lodging a visa application.

Including family in your application

You can include the following people in your visa application:

  • --Your partner (married or de facto)
  • --You or your partner’s dependent children
  • --Other dependent relatives

Your family members should meet the requirements for including family members in your application. The application must include documentary evidence of their relationship with you.

Also they should prove that there in good health and have the character requirements.

You can add your partner and dependent children to your application at any time until your visa is decided.

After you have applied

After you have lodged your application and documents, we will let you know that we have received your information. We will allocate a case officer and give you an email address for all future correspondence.

Outside Australia:

If you apply for this visa from outside Australia do not make arrangements before you are advised in writing that you have been granted a visa. Wait for a decision from us before you leave your job, sell your home or book your travel.

In Australia:

If you apply for this visa in Australia, you could be eligible for a Bridging visa that allows you to stay in the country lawfully while your application is processed. If you are given a Bridging visa A, you can apply for a Bridging visa B (BVB) to travel outside Australia while you wait for a decision.

How points are listed,

GSM Points Test